Monday 21 August 2017

huxley boon : distractions loops

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japaneseforms/35880510364/
Huxley Boon
Distractions Loops
Twin Lakes / Burnt Brain (2017)
Pro-dubbed cassette with card insert
Limited edion of 50 copies
 
Compositions created using a cassette 4 track, SAD-1 delay pedal and the samples from an SP404 that Sauna Youth used on their album 'Distractions' released July 3, 2017 
Recorded & Mixed by Huxley Boon (2016) • • • [ Bandcamp ]


I must admit that I have no idea who Huxley Boon is except that he's associated in some way with London-based post-punk, four-piece Sauna Youth. That's "post-punk" as in they play the same style of music about 35 years after the advent of post punk. I wonder if any members of the band were even born then?
Anyhow, I caught onto this thanks to a Twitter post about its upcoming release. Being a fan of William Basinski the title had caught my eye: 'Distractions Loops' being a pun on Basinski's 'Disintegration Loops' though I haven't the faintest if this was intended by Boon or not. Still, the whole thing does have that whole sort of Basinski-like drone feel to it and, though rather short (14'01" exactly on each side), is really quite good. I certainly prefer this to the Sauna Youth releases which; in all fairness, I haven't really given much time to listen to. I'll reappraise after another couple of listens to them and in particular the original 'Distractions' album.

Artwork is very nice: sort of op-art-ish (if that's what it's called) on the tape and J-card on one side and rather sci-fi on the other. Someone drowned in red tones appearing to look in a mirror, holding their head while a UFO like object (probably some ceiling light fixture) hovers in the top right corner. Curiously, the whole thing -tape & j-card- smells of aftershave or some other masculine deodorant.

So, according to what's on the Bandcamp pages I imagine this is some sort of side project by Boon. There's no infomation with the tape and virtually nothing Google-wise other than some bits on Sauna Youth and at their own blog . Blog which hasn't been updated since January this year. Apparently they're on Facebook if anyone's interested. I'm not. In Facebook, I mean so you'll have to do your own research if you want to know any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment